ID:134321

I'd like to be able to send a user to another world without having that nasty confirmation dialog pop up each time. Is there any way at all you can implement this, through 'trusting' the daemon somehow?

If it were possible, I'd be able to completely avoid any kind of object limits, support unlimited amounts of players, et cetera.

Plus, my most recent project would benefit immensely from seamless world switching, it would completely change what is possible right now.
Alathon wrote:
I'd like to be able to send a user to another world without having that nasty confirmation dialog pop up each time. Is there any way at all you can implement this, through 'trusting' the daemon somehow?

Could links from link() be treated differently from links in the text window? link() stuff would be hardcoded in DM, so would obviously be the world author's intent. link() could be trusted to send you off to an alternate world, while links from the text window (possibly by players), could retain their current status (popping up confirmation dialog box).
I second this. I'd love to be able to link to other worlds without forcing the user to confirm.
I can understand why servers aren't trusted to use this feature. However I would like the ability to ask permission at an earlier time (say when they login, give them a 'this game will transfer you between servers, are you down?) and have it carry over to any of the servers it sends you to.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
I can understand why servers aren't trusted to use this feature.

I don't. Anything bad that a linked server could do to you, the original server could just as easily do to you. If a game links me someplace I don't want to be, I won't play it again.

However I would like the ability to ask permission at an earlier time (say when they login, give them a 'this game will transfer you between servers, are you down?) and have it carry over to any of the servers it sends you to.

That's a great compromise. :)
In response to DarkView
Firstly, I agree with the request. As Shadowdarke and others have said, it should be the game developer's choice; this is one of those "I'm the programmer and I KNOW what I'm doing" situations. If they had malicious intent on forcing unworldly content upon their players, they could already do so through certain other trusted BYOND methods.

DarkView wrote:
However I would like the ability to ask permission at an earlier time (say when they login, give them a 'this game will transfer you between servers, are you down?) and have it carry over to any of the servers it sends you to.

Granted, this acceptance should carry over, as well. It'd be just as bad to have the confirmation come up after being reconnected as it would to have it come up before-hand.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Yeah. I think it's bad to have any sort of warning breaking the flow there, but who ever makes the decision on this has left it in at the request of many a developer in the past. Hopefully this will be enough of a compromise to get transferring players between worlds smooth enough to use in games.
In response to DarkView
i seem to recall someone earlier this year had a work-around that allowed players to jump from one server to the next without the confirmation. probably worth a look...

[edit] haven't found it yet, but i swear we had a long thread about just this topic.
This makes sense to me. I'll see what I can do.
In response to Tom
Could be something easy like finding the source of the popup and simply making it automatically the 'yes' value, things like a once a session thing would probably take more.

But that stuff is probably deep in Dan's stuff considering it's in networking.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Could be something easy like finding the source of the popup and simply making it automatically the 'yes' value, things like a once a session thing would probably take more.

But that stuff is probably deep in Dan's stuff considering it's in networking.

Oh, it's no problem to do this... the hard part is figuring out why we had this behavior in the first place :) Probably made that decision 10 years ago!
In response to Tom
I'd imagine it was part of the system that asks you if you want to disconnect and reconnect with various byond:// links in the client, the message is almost the same. It's actually basically the same thing, you just link() them to another world instead of them clicking a link for it.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:

Great :) Thanks.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Oh, it's no problem to do this... the hard part is figuring out why we had this behavior in the first place :) Probably made that decision 10 years ago!

i would guess that, as mentioned before, it was to prevent games from tossing you over to another server or game without warning, or without your permission. i can certainly see some hazards and abuses in that.

but, as also mentioned, i think if the game(s) in question abused it, they would lose their player-base pretty quickly.

thanks, Tom! it's also beneficial to me regarding the old space-game idea ([link]) that brought me to BYOND in the first place!
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
i seem to recall someone earlier this year had a work-around that allowed players to jump from one server to the next without the confirmation. probably worth a look...

[edit] haven't found it yet, but i swear we had a long thread about just this topic.

I recall the same post, and I'm trying to look for it now. I believe they said something along the lines of linking the player to the new world and then kicking them out of the old one right after.
In response to Airjoe
Is this the one? [link]

- GhostAnime
In response to GhostAnime
Yes it is!

Thank you.
In response to Airjoe
No problemo, fear my skill of forum searching :O

(The keywords I used were: server without confirmation) <_<'

- GhostAnime
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:

If we're going to give the client any say in the matter, I'd just make it a DS preference that defaults to always allow.
In response to Mike H
Mike H wrote:
If we're going to give the client any say in the matter, I'd just make it a DS preference that defaults to always allow.

good compromise!
Page: 1 2 3