ID:182139

I'm running into a bit of trouble with the interface for my game and I'd like to know what most of you use as your screen resolution. It would help me make the interface as good as I possibly can. Thank you.

Just reply with your current resolution, thanks!
I have a 1280x800 resolution, though it's best if you stick with an 800x600 game resolution.

By the way, this should be on a members blog rather than the forums.
In response to Jeff8500
Eh I know, but I don't have a membership =/.

And I've tried sticking with the 800x600 but the map gets way to big and there is so much space wasted with the blackness; and so little space for everything else that I need to fit.

The reason I have this is so that hopefully enough people tell me their resolution so that I can just stick with the lowest one. I doubt anyone actually uses 800x600 these days.
Main computer 1920x1080
Secondary computer 1280x1024

I think it is best to make your interface work for 800x600 while not letting it implode at high resolutions. If your having to much trouble with getting 800x600 to work, you could always make a seperate interface for it.
In response to Soldierman
I think that just gave me an idea. I might make the map stay in the middle and let everything else around is stretch to meet the players resolution.
In response to Soldierman
I have the same, but my primary is 1280x1024 and my secondary is 1920x1080(both on the same machine, just two monitors).
1400x1050.
1680x1050.
Other polls such as this have been taken before and the average resolution is 1024x768, with a very small percentage using 800x600. If you're going to design for a specific resolution, that would probably be your best bet. However, you're better off either designing a windowed game that doesn't need to fill the screen, or design the game to adjust dynamically regardless of the resolution.

There's a trick you can use if you force people to play the game in full screen, where you create an invisible element that is anchored at the bottom-right. Then when the user starts up the game, it can find the position of that element at the bottom-right and discern the user's resolution from that. Then you can calculate the size and position of every element in the interface before the player ever sees the screen.
1280x1024.
1024x768
In response to Foomer
There is one catch to that method, I've found. If the person has their task bar set *not* to auto-hide, it won't return the actual screen size. If that's important, you can use the alternative javascript method, or try and guess their resolution from the closest match.

Also, the taskbar can only be covered by a map element when not set to auto-hide, as far as I know.
Either design your game to go fullscreen, or to stretch dynamically depending on the users resolution.

I run 1600x1200, being forced to play at 800x600 is 'meh' at best.
1280x800
1280x1024
1680x1050
1152x864
In response to CaptFalcon33035
1680x1050.
1280x1024

This poll shouldn't be needed. You really need to use those anchors so that everything adjusts to anyone's resolution.
In response to Mizukouken Ketsu
That's why I'm not giving him my dimensions. ;)
Page: 1 2