ID:1860344

Hello Readers! Three announcements in the past week? That may be a new record! Lets see what has been going on:

BYOND

Cofounder of BYOND, Tom has retired as of this month after two decades with the project, passing the BYOND torch to developer Lummox JR. The "Business of BYOND" has been rebranded as BYOND Software, and as the new name suggests, we may see more changes to the software in the coming months. Already for version 508 lummox JR has incorporated enhanced error handling, appearances, and new graphic enhancements for the icon editor. Plans are also in the works for improvements to the Dream Maker platform.

BYOND Games

Severed World launched it's Kickstarter campaign a day ago, and they have currently obtained pledges for $3100 of their $15000 goal. Regular and early beta game access options are available, along with custom content pledges. In the same time frame, they have begun a Stream Greenlight ballot and are looking for upvotes to gain attention. Check out the website for game details.

Sigrogana Legend 2 has had a new race called the Leporidae added over the past two weeks, fully equipped with its own racial traits. The fishing skill has received an upgrade rendering it more interactive. Plus, fishing contest events are now held in Dormeho. Lets not forget to mention the handful of bug fixes and adjustments.

Citing a new full time job and an overwhelming majority of a poll, Edit Nero has decided to open source the RPG Kalero.

To help keep new players on the right path, Inutaishos has added lifetime quests to Azusa Generations, full details are in the update. A self writing book, a forest dungeon, and new monsters have been added as well.

After evaluating the results of a poll, Avidanimefan concluded that the majority of the available player base is most interested in seeing Kage no Ordori: Rise of the Tengu taking a turn for a more player vs player gameplay. In the same post, he described the results of a recent play testing session and shared his thoughts on community involvement. Additionally, he proposed an opportunity for players who are interested in creating custom equipment for the game. For players more interested in PVP features, vote on the specifics here, and for players more interested in RP features, cast your vote here.

DanteVFenris shared a video featuring the cutscene that displays when the player creates a new character, giving a glimps of the history of the Unluckiest in Cursed Luck. Check the second comment for the correct Youtube link. A cutscene is expected for each dungeon.

Previous maps have been scraped and new ones have taken their place over at Final Impact: Aeon Catalyst. In addition to the landscape changes, Soma Schicksal also informs us that weapons, abilities, skills, and other main systems continue to improve. A server is available periodically, and in the interim, a collection of screenshots are available.

Gluscap games has published information on the four skills trees to which players can allocate points to in Boundless. Combat, Movement, Support, and Utility and each features skill ranging from beginner to advanced.

BYOND Resources

• Zecronious shares his method for creating equipment and skill effects.
  • After discontinuing Rice, IchiroKeisuke has decided to break the game into a series of libraries, the first of which is Tile Edges.
  • After showing a screenshot, Kidpaddle45 has shared his Shadow Generator library and wrote a document on how it works.
Sigrogana Legend 2 doesn't have a new class called Leporidae, it has a new race called Leporidae. In addition, Leporidae does not have any skills (what you use to craft), but it does indeed have racial traits (which are different from skills or talents).

(Edit: Clarified a section of my post.)
(Edit #2: It got fixed, yay! Ignore this post.)
Okay bruh litterally no lie every time you talk my pager feed resets LOL
It has been an interesting week of what transpired. 20 years...Don't know what to say. Byond continues to move forward without tom. Future is going to be quite interesting to say at least.

Other than kickstarters, are there any others that are out helping to fund a little to the active creators up there? It doesn't have to be much. What I like to do is if a game has subscriptions, I give them out free anonymously to help bring in players and help support their creative drive. =]
dan and tom both nice guys torch being passed was a shocker tho i've been here for about 13-14 years myself feel like i wasted alot of my life with games
In response to ZephyreSyx
Thanks for mentioning my library.

ZephyreSyx wrote:
Other than kickstarters, are there any others that are out helping to fund a little to the active creators up there? It doesn't have to be much. What I like to do is if a game has subscriptions, I give them out free anonymously to help bring in players and help support their creative drive. =]

I do have hopes on starting smaller-scaled projects. I've learned from previous mistakes and being too ambitious and creating big games leads most of the time to lack of motivation or being too busy to complete them. The future is bright for BYOND. I feel it. :)
The Kage no Ordori: Rise of the Tengu URL appears to be missing the "http://" and goes to the BYOND forums instead. [Edit: Fixed. =)]
Expect a regular Skirmish progress thread sonetime this weekend! Skirmish might have a case of dungeon fever. (;
kek
Screenies:

My companion wisp, Navi, and I about to check out a cave?

A red lonely wisp near the blood of a npc gunner that Navi killed single handedly. I finally have wisps looking good!
so basically wisps are bloodthirsty savages, the blue ones kill and the red ones consume the corpses

what kind of wisps are these, wisps are supposed to be nice and compassionate
The kind that keep you alive in a dangerous world. (;
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:

Y'sure? Will-o'-the-wisps aren't very pleasant. They try to lure people off of safe paths, usually to their deaths. If I remember correctly, they're generally considered the source of the idea in mythology/fantasy.

I want to say that they're attributed to the fair folk common of European folklore (Scottish, Germanic, Celtic, and the like). Even those that were more tolerant of humanity tended to play pranks on people, which -- sometimes -- led to their deaths. But, hey, at least they all got a good laugh out of it!

Huzzah for random comments regarding western European folklore.
In response to PixelScientist
PixelScientist wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:

Y'sure? Will-o'-the-wisps aren't very pleasant. They try to lure people off of safe paths, usually to their deaths. If I remember correctly, they're generally considered the source of the idea in mythology/fantasy.

I want to say that they're attributed to the fair folk common of European folklore (Scottish, Germanic, Celtic, and the like). Even those that were more tolerant of humanity tended to play pranks on people, which -- sometimes -- led to their deaths. But, hey, at least they all got a good laugh out of it!

Huzzah for random comments regarding western European folklore.

in warcraft they teamed up to beat up the red demon dude

THEY'RE NICE PEOPLE
Skirmish's first dungeon, Graystone Cave, is being drafted!

I'm working on a couple new art assets so have a concept piece!
Why are the sprites suddenly so tiny?

How am I supposed to steal your assets and use them in my own game if they're so small?
In response to EmpirezTeam
Skirmish has always had 16x16 tiles. They're scaled up 200% in-game.