ID:135352

I had heard in the past that BYOND is based off of C++, but I wouldnt know. I want to know which coding language BYOND is most closly related so that I can start off that one to get better at more than just BYOND coding...
Metroid wrote:
I had heard in the past that BYOND is based off of C++, but I wouldnt know. I want to know which coding language BYOND is most closly related so that I can start off that one to get better at more than just BYOND coding...

BYOND and C++ share many similarities. So do BYOND and Java.
I've heard that Python is good.
In response to Garthor
Yeah, Python is good. It's also probably the closest to BYOND in terms of syntax (e.g. using whitespace for indentation).
In my own biased (and therefore mostly worthless) opinion, I feel that BYOND is the best launching platform for the two best high-level languages out there: C++ for hard-code and Python for soft-code.

Learning full OOP via DM and then moving to something like C++ or Python will set you up pretty well in the long run.
as mentioned in the DM guide and the Bluebook (http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/app1.html): "DM, like many modern programming languages, is an evolved form of C. Additional derivatives include C++, Java, Awk, and a host of others. Since these all share a common ancestor, they have many similarities in structure and syntax. A programmer familiar with one of them can adapt to the others with little difficulty.

Beginners often ask questions like which of two languages is more powerful. However, that is not really the right question. Programming languages evolve to fit a niche just like biological organisms specialize and adapt to their environment. To ask whether a hawk or a bear is better adapted to survival is in many ways nonsensical. The right question is: which one is better suited for a given task or situation? The same is true of programming languages."
In response to Jon88
i believe BYOND is the best starter programming language around.
It's made VB.NET alot easier for me.
In response to Tiberath
That's true, I'm learning VB, and it's a lot easier now I can see how languages actually *work*, and can be read from the page, instead of being a lot of rubbish.

You can learn Byond in a couple of months, and then you can move on the C++ (for example) with extensive background knowledge and skills very quickly.

Thank you Byond!
In response to Kholint
Seperate post: I would like to enquire- why are there no clear tutorials on how to "do" DMCGI? I can't seem to find anything to teach me.
In response to Kholint
Kholint wrote:
Seperate post: I would like to enquire- why are there no clear tutorials on how to "do" DMCGI? I can't seem to find anything to teach me.

The people who know how to do DMCGI are few and far between, the servers which can be used to test DMCGI are few and far between, and those that do know how to create DMCGI programs are more or less too lazy to create tutorials for it.

Generally, DMCGI is based on one proc, and only one proc:

CGI/Topic(href, href_list)

...which parses the URL passed into the DMB program, and then spits out an HTML page.

To get results, you simply create URLs of the "cgi.dmb?arg1=value1;arg2=value2;arg3=value3" format, and then href_list will be an associative list containing those arguments. You can then use those arguments however you'd like in order to dynamically create your own webpage with the data therein.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
The people who know how to do DMCGI are few and far between, the servers which can be used to test DMCGI are few and far between, and those that do know how to create DMCGI programs are more or less too lazy to create tutorials for it.

Generally, DMCGI is based on one proc, and only one proc:

CGI/Topic(href, href_list)

...which parses the URL passed into the DMB program, and then spits out an HTML page.

To get results, you simply create URLs of the "cgi.dmb?arg1=value1;arg2=value2;arg3=value3" format, and then href_list will be an associative list containing those arguments. You can then use those arguments however you'd like in order to dynamically create your own webpage with the data therein.

Nadrew has some DMCGI-related stuff on his hub, and a tutorial somewhere, too.
In response to Kholint
In response to Nadrew
So you need Byond installed on the computer for ByondCGI to work?
In response to Kholint
Kholint wrote:
So you need Byond installed on the computer for ByondCGI to work?

Yes. BYOND needs to be properly installed to a unix/linux/BSD computer with Apache. BYOND will probably(I'm not sure) need to be installed as root, and Apache will require a minor configuration change to recognize .dmb files as cgi.
In response to Jon88
Oh right, so the BYOND CGI (which is "awesome") effectively is only useful to about 0.0001% of the entire web?
And when I mean useful, I mean, actually USE-able.
And considering it's not even that much use?
*Ack*
Oh well, I'll just have to learn Java then, and download ANOTHER compiler.
(I have ones for VB, C++, BYOND, er...lots, anyway)
In response to Kholint
Kholint wrote:
Oh right, so the BYOND CGI (which is "awesome") effectively is only useful to about 0.0001% of the entire web?
And when I mean useful, I mean, actually USE-able.
And considering it's not even that much use?
*Ack*
Oh well, I'll just have to learn Java then, and download ANOTHER compiler.
(I have ones for VB, C++, BYOND, er...lots, anyway)

Well, if someone actually paid for webhosting, I bet that it wouldn't be too hard to get BYOND installed(depending on the case, of course).
In response to Jon88
Hmm. I have paid webhosting. I wonder if they'd be willing to set it up for me... =) (If you don't hear anything, assume they're not.)
In response to Kholint
Kholint wrote:

Hmm. According to this report, Apache runs on about 67% of all web servers on the internet. We support Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and (soon) OpenBSD, which account for a majority of all Apache installations. Not sure how that translates to an effective 0.0001%. Care to explain?
In response to Mike H
Mike H wrote:
Kholint wrote:

Hmm. According to this report, Apache runs on about 67% of all web servers on the internet. We support Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and (soon) OpenBSD, which account for a majority of all Apache installations. Not sure how that translates to an effective 0.0001%. Care to explain?

Well, you actually NEED Byond installed for it to work.
If you asked around the internet, (not here), how many people would say they have Byond installed?
In response to Kholint
Kholint wrote:
Mike H wrote:
Kholint wrote:

Well, you actually NEED Byond installed for it to work.
If you asked around the internet, (not here), how many people would say they have Byond installed?

Probably not many. But if your account has CGI access, then most likely you can install it yourself. Problem solved. :)
Page: 1 2