ID:189082

Anyone watch the anime FLCL/fooly cooly/furi kuri/kuri kuri(...gah lots of names)? Just wondering, it's completely off the wall, has a totally random and crazy story line , but i love it!
its on cartoon network at 12am EST for anyone is interested in seeing, and to anyone who has seen it before, post your thoughts and opinions on the series.

Trog
FLCL is one of the oddest animes (heck, all cartoons) that I've ever seen...

But it's really sweet! Its weirdness is what makes it so darn cool...

I haven't even managed to catch all of the episodes on CN (this is the third or fourth time they've run through it) but I've really liked what I've seen... Even though I can hardly follow the storyline (I only know the basics)...

As for the many names, they're all the same thing, basically...

The characters F L C L are the title, and they can be pronounced/spelled in all of those different ways... FL (Fooly) CL (Cooly)... The Furi Kuri spelling comes from the Japanese pronunciation, in which L's sound much like R's (the two sounds are blended into one in Japanese, and sound like a soft tongue roll)...

So for the title, it's basically up to the viewer to choose which they prefer (older fans who saw it first in subtitles are more likely to go with the Furi Kuri, while fans who have just now seen it on CN in the dub will most likely prefer FLCL or Fooly Cooly)

And speaking of FLCL, after watching tonight's episode, I finally got around to downloading the ending theme song... "Ride a Shooting Star" by The Pillows... I love that song... I might have to download some of their other stuff as well (most of it is from the FLCL soundtrack)...
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
Exactly, it's crazy off the wall random weirdness is what makes it such a kick ass anime. I've only seen like 3 episodes(including tonights) and I absolutely love it!

Trog
In response to Troglodyte
3 more and you've seen them all!
In response to FuZzY DiCe
Heh, I wonder why people think there's really only 6-8 episodes, there's really quite a few, it's just how CN is, they don't show them all right away; same with Trigun (there are at least 100 more episodes of that, and they've been playing the same ones over and over for a year!)
In response to Nadrew
oh, well i didnt look much into the anime...but i did like how they tried to make fun of south park...
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Heh, I wonder why people think there's really only 6-8 episodes, there's really quite a few, it's just how CN is, they don't show them all right away; same with Trigun (there are at least 100 more episodes of that, and they've been playing the same ones over and over for a year!)

Perhaps that was sarcasm, but as far as I can tell Cartoon Network has indeed shown them all. There are 6 episodes of FLCL. There are 26 episodes of Trigun. While the manga forms may have more, the anime forms are rather short.

Inuyasha on the other hand...
Well, at least I feel better now. I thought myself to be the odd one out for liking something that made practically no sense, lol. This anime is definately one of the type that is appealing through how its uniue.
In response to ACWraith
Wrong, Trigun is actually still in production, there are about another 100 episodes coming down the pipe for translation, FLCL is a different story, there are other episodes, just not even out of the production stage.
In response to Nadrew
Hence why Cartoon Network cannot show them, they aren't out of the production stages.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Wrong, Trigun is actually still in production, there are about another 100 episodes coming down the pipe for translation, FLCL is a different story, there are other episodes, just not even out of the production stage.

...Or you know I'm gullible enough to go digging up information again while you laugh at me. ;)

Dark Horse is releasing the Trigun manga in the US. (There are more coming than are offered on that link.) However, the anime began and ended in 1998. While a new anime series could be made in theory, the old series was completed on Cartoon Network.

TOKYOPOP is releasing the FLCL manga in the US. However, the anime only ran in short bursts for about a year in Japan and ended in 2001. There is always room for a new series but the old one is done. I think I heard rumors of a movie, but the last article I could find about one was dated 2001 so I don't know if it's still coming out or if someone just got confused about the OVA.
In response to Nadrew
I hate to have to do this, but you're incorrect about Trigun...

Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star are all one season wonders... 26 episodes each (and Bebop has one movie/OVA)...

They're called "western" style series, because they were constructed in the western style of series production (along with each having a sort of "western" theme)... Each episode is almost a stand alone, while there is only a loose plot running through them all in the background... Whereas the traditional Japanese style is to have small pieces of the story told in each episode, telling a large saga over time...

DBZ is an example of this traditional style, as is Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin, the various Gundam series, etc...

But Trigun, Bebop, and Outlaw Star are different in that they're constructed more like "western" made series...

Plus, the story pretty much ends where the last episode left off... There's not much else to say...

Spoilers: Wolfwood is dead, the Gung Ho Guns are wiped out, and Vash has made his peace with his past, and his brother... There's nothing more to add...
/Spoilers

However, the manga might still be in production... I know that many anime series' corresponding mangas cover more than the series/movie covered ("Akira" has a manga that covers a lot more than the movie did, I believe)... But as far as animated episodes, Trigun is done... We've seen it all on CN...

FLCL might continue, but that's sort of iffy... FLCL was a kind of "vacation" for the animators who created it... They were tired of doing long, drawn out series, so they decided to come up with something short, and really off the wall... FLCL is what they came up with...lol So since it seemingly became rather popular, they may continue with it... However, they didn't intend to when they first created it... So I wouldn't necessarily doubt that they've started writing up more episodes, but I still won't believe it until I see them...lol
About the loose plots running in each series, I would have to say thats just a misconception.... Sure not every episode showed the hero aiming for his goal, but they talked about it in almost every other episode. For instance, Vash was trying to find Knives and stop his evil, Spike was trying to kill his friend Vicious for all those years of betrayal in the Syndicate and for killing the women he loved, and the crew of the Outlaw Star were all out to find that gate which could grant any wish so that they could be overflowing with booty(The treasure! Oh, but that did sort of change with Melfina, since then it turned into help Melfina find out her past.). The one that really put it's plot to work most frequently was Outlaw Star, you could barely go an episode after the first few without them going on about finding the gate.
In response to Kusanagi
I didn't necessarily mean that the plots didn't come up in a lot of the episodes... I meant that the plot wasn't in the forefront of the entire series...

Take a series like DBZ... Every episode essentially ends in a "To Be Continued" sort of way, with the next episode starting where the previous left off... Aside from the few filler episodes that take side trips from the main storyline, every episode focuses on advancing that storyline....

But that isn't the case with the three series we're talking about... Each episode is almost a stand alone adventure, and some of them happen to have little bits of the main storyline revealed here and there... There's a huge difference...

Heck, we don't even know that Knives exists until halfway through Trigun (I forget which episode it was that he was introduced, but there were plenty of episodes before it that made no mention of Vash's past), and then we really don't find out much about him except for a small handful of the episodes near the end... The same can be said for Vicious in Bebop... Sure, we're given hints all along about Spike's past, but they're never important to the show until near the end of the series...

You're right that Outlaw Star managed to keep the storyline running pretty good (the best out of the three) but even so, it's still constructed a lot differently than the traditional "soap opera" style that virtually all other series were created with...
and when did they do this? .....anyway..on a differnt note...anyone who uses "cartoon" network for their anime is obviously a child, cant afford a cable connection, or is extremly confused about what is real and what is fake/ruined/trashed/destroyed/crippled/ morally/mentally/physically abused by americans!!!

(sorry for any spelling errors, i havent slept in two days.)
In response to Karasu Kami

They talked really fast in it but i think they didn't realize that south park was actually trying to make fun of them and they weren't actually serious :D
In an anime magazine I got a few months back there was a story on Trigun, I knew there was only one season, but the story said due to the popularity they will start a second season, and continue animating the rest of the manga storyline. It's sort of like the last few sagas in DBZ, they didn't want to do it, but by popular demand they did.
In response to Karasu Kami
Anybody who says such a thing obviously is a drowned out person who sees anything that gets into the spotlight as "bad". It's like old gaming nerds saying, "Games aren't as good as they used to be!".
no, I just dont like american ruined anime that everyone has no clue what the real one is like. I mean litterally...if you were to give me a free box set of all of the "animes" shown on cartoon network, i'd gladly decline and go buy myself subbed animes straight from japan ^^;.

And no, i'm not like one of those old gaming nerds who say games arent as good as they use to be.

Oh ...one more thing, compared the FLCL, southpark sucks ass. They just arent random enough! ^^; (doesnt mean I do not like south park...but i'm just comparing..and you don't have to reply on this comment because its my opinion and I don't need some "TV Fanwar" going on, laters.)
Simply put FLCL is one of the best animes out there. Is what they are showing on cartoon network the only FLCL episodes out there?
Page: 1 2